I came up with the idea for these autumn gift tags after having lots of leftover Halloween candy. I thought a Hershey's kiss on top of a Reese's peanut butter cup would look like a cupcake, so I attached them with glue dots and added them to autumn-themed tags that are perfect for adding to a bottle of lotion or nail polish for a quick gift. You could also adapt them for place settings.
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
Paper punches (I used 3-inch and 1.5-inch scalloped circle punches)
Cardstock paper in autumn colors
Rubber stamps & Ink
Ribbon in autumn colors
The directions given are for the tags shown, but feel free to experiment with your own paper punches and stamps.
1. Punch out a large (3 inch) scalloped circle out of pumpkin orange card stock. Stamp it with a contrasting color of ink using an autumn-themed stamp.
2. Punch out a smaller (1.5 inch) scalloped circle from harvest yellow cardstock and glue it to the larger one, slightly off-center. Glue sticks or glue dots work well - avoid liquid glue since it will warp the paper.
3. Use a hole-punch to punch a hole in both tags if you'll be attaching ribbon. (I should have punched my holes at the other end of the tag, as it gets top-heavy once you attach the candy cupcake).
4. Using your rubber stamp and ink, stamp on one or both of the punched shapes.
5. Cut a 10-inch piece of ribbon, fold in half, and knot with the ends together. To attach the ribbon, thread the folded end through the hole, then wrap it over the knotted end. Pull on the knot to draw the ribbon up to the hole.
6. Using glue dots, attach a Hershey's Kiss to a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. I found I needed two glue dots on the bottom of each Kiss, but you may need less if yours are larger or stickier. I used contrasting colors for the tops and bottoms of the cupcakes so the colors would stand out a little better, but you can also match the colors.
7. Use another glue dot or two to fasten the bottom of the "cupcake" to the center of the smaller circle.
I thought of writing "Give Thanks" or "Happy Harvest" on the tags, but didn't have room left over. If you don't have an autumn stamp, you could try this instead. You could also stamp or write "To" and "From" to use these as gift tags. They'd be perfect attached to a loaf of home-baked bread or some spice muffins!
Since Hershey's Kisses and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups come with different colored wrappers each season, you could easily adapt this for Christmas or Easter gift tags, or use pink or blue Kisses for a baby shower!